Posted to alt.home.repair
Terra Arcane Terra Arcane is offline

Default Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 01:19:30 -0400, wrote:

Take the one that is half full out and replace the seal.

I replaced the fifteen dollar seal. I slapped on a ton of the silicone gel
and it worked. The light stayed on for more than an hour this time.

My only remaining question is HOW TIGHT to screw the two-inch screw that
tightens the steel band which clamps the glass cover onto the fixture
sandwiching the gasket in between.

The clamp clamped within a quarter inch or so but I kept turning the bolt
until there was no room left to turn it. I kept wondering if the glass
plate would shatter but it didn't.

How tight are you supposed to screw down that steel clamp?