Jim K

Default Measuring Devices / Tape Measures

As you've already heard, the loose hook on the tape measure is "a
feature not a bug." The big thing in accuracy is to use the same tool
for measurement or make sure all your tools measure the same.

If you have a yardstick, tape measure, framing square, etc. laying
around compare the marking of each. You're probably (I'd say almost
positively) going to find differences among them. I just read some
test where a guy bought several tape measures (some were the make and
model) and compared the sizes and found them all to have slight
differences in accuracy.

Try to use just one measuring tool for one project or compare them and
realize that an inch isn't always an inch.

I use a variety of measuring tools depending on what I'm measuring. I
usually use a tape measure for larger measurements and a Union 12" and
Craftsman 6" square (they both measure the same). I also use a small
cheap brass sliding caliper, a slightly less cheap plastic dial
caliper, and a digital caliper (less than $20 from Harbor Freight and
works great). I have a dial indicator and a set of micrometers along
with inside and outside calipers, not to mention 6" and 36" metal
rulers. I also have protractors, both fixed and adjustable; framing
squares, circle gauges and screw templates.

And sometimes I just mark a piece of cardboard.

Do I need them all? Naw, but they're cool to play with :-P

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:12:10 GMT, "Nick Bozovich"
wrote:

I was watching Norm today - he was measuring up a piece of lumber, and he
used a tape measure. I couldn't tell what brand, but it made me think about
the worthless tape measure I have in my shop - that I try to avoid using.
Why? Because the end of it is loose, and if you don't push the tape back
toward it, the measurement can be off by nearly 1/8".

I was in Lowes today, and checked out their tape measures - even on the more
expensive ones the end of it was loose! One was even worse than the one I
have.

I've mostly used a folding carpenter's rule with a metal insert for 1" - 6",
because the tape measure isn't reliable.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks -

Nick B