Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Interesting toilet leak

On Jul 1, 9:29*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:28:18 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Next suspect after that is the two tank bolts and
the rubber washers that seal those. The tank washers could also result
in a leak that runs down the back of the toilet and could appear below.

Exactly. A toilet I fixed once was a very slow leak at the tank washer
bolts. *Something as simple as bumping the tank, flushing it caused a
tiny leak from one bolt washer that had deformed.

The way I found it was reaching under the tank/bolts, feeling the
wetness.

We'd find water occasionally on my mother's bathroom floor. It took a
while to trace it down, but I finally tracked it down to a hairline
crack in the tank. When people would sit back against the tank it
would leak, evidently for a while, and then stop. Replacing the
toilet fixed it. ;-) Well, that turned out to be a royal PITA on a
Christmas Eve, but that's another story.