Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Okay, more questions partaining to A/C evaporator coils andcondensation drip lines...

On 7/1/2010 8:24 AM, wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:49 am, wrote:
wrote in message

Dave wrote:
Have just installed a piece into the drip line of my home's central
A/C evaporator unit that will allow me to connect a garden hose and
wash out the line downstream from the evaporator, as well as adding
bleach water to the same part of the system. Thing is, the 3/4" PVC
pipe was almost completely blocked by whatever is growing in there,
and now I am wondering if my evaporator coil is in similar condition.
It's been at least ten years since this unit was installed, and it is
a sealed unit, with no access to the drip pan for placement of
tablets or chemicles to prevent the growth of what now nearly blocks
my drip line. Am I going to have to pay someone to take this damn
thing apart and clean it, or is it possible that I could do that? I
am fairly handy with tools, but have never (yet) attempted anything
like this. What say those who know about such things? I am willing
to tackle it, I would just hate to screw it up.
Just for informational purposes, the evaporator sits above the blower
unit (in a closet at the center of the house) and the rest of the
system is up in the attic (ductwork) and outside (compressor, I
believe it is called.) I guess I need to get some estimates, and
talk with someone who does this professionally. In the meantime I am
all ears for those who care to share their opinions on what I
describe.

While mine has removable panels, it seemed a lot of trouble to remove
eight screws.

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the sheet metal for adding the bleach (with a
funnel), closed the hole with a cork, and called it done.

Looking at the thing again this AM, I see that there are four screws in
addition to the tape. But there are also hoses coming out of that panel,
which is the only panel I have access to. And those hoses would seriously
interfere with an attempts to get the panel out of the way. Your idea of
just drilling a hole sounds like a wonderful one, so long as I don't hit
anything on the other side. Will have to consider this, and find a way to
make it work. Thanks for the input...

Dave- Hide quoted text -

I've seen A coils installed in ducting that has no access panel that
is removable. In that case, you would need to cut an opening.
Obviously you need to know what you are doing and use a saw that will
only penetrate 1/4" or so beyond the metal. If you use a long saw
blade you run the risk of destroying the coil. If you need a big
opening, extending near the bottom, then I'd start from the top. Cut
that open, down the sides part way, then you can see inside and know
how much clearance you have at the bottom where the A coil will be
closer. Then cover the cut-out up with a new piece of sheet metal and
tape as needed.

Another consideration would be if you plan to ever install a
humidifier. Now would be a good time to do that if you want one.

It's not unusual for me to pump a system down storing the freon in
the condenser, closing the service valves, disconnecting the line
set from the evaporator, sliding it out of its housing and taking
the dirty clogged up thing outside for a proper cleaning. Sometimes
it's the only way to get a system with an A coil back into good
operating condition. It can be time consuming but you may have no
other choice if you want an AC that works like it should. Sometimes
I have to add an expansion valve to a system to make it work right.

TDD