Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Old swimming pool question

On 01/07/10 3:47 PM, JimT wrote:
I have a small (10k gal) inground swimming pool that is probably around 27
y/o. House was built around 1983 and I think it was built then. The plaster
has seen better days. I don't think the previous owners took very good care
of it. It's pitted, discolored and cracked in a few places. I was watching a
movie last night and there was a pool in it that was tiled. I thought that
might be a cheaper way of refinishing mine. It would have to be a small
mosaic tile that could stand up to the chlorine. The draw back would be all
the grout lines that have a tendency to grow algae but if I watched the
chemicals closely and diligently cleaned it I might be able to control it.

Dumb idea? I think it would look really nice. At least for awhile. Anyone
have a fully tiled pool and what are the draw backs?

Very rare to have fully tiled pools any more, and very expensive and
difficult to maintain. Pebbletec or similar surface looks very good and
is less prone to algae and calcium problems, but is pretty costly. I had
my pool done in Pebbletec about six years ago, I think the pool had
never been replastered prior to that, about 20 years since it was built,
and it was badly pocked and difficult to keep balanced.

Here's my photos of the project: "http://nordicgroup.us/pool/"

Remember, after you plaster or tile or Pebbletec, and are filling the
pool, always fill the deep end first.