Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Bath sink drain

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:31:45 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Take it all apart and clean the soap scum and hairballs out of the trap,
and where the arm for the stopper comes into the tailpiece?

I cleaned the trap, etc after the hot water failed to help.
The stopper is permanently stuck "up": damaged years ago.

A 1954 trap will likely disintegrate as soon as you touch a wrench to
it, so have new parts sitting on the floor next to you. They are cheap,
and the job is enough of a PITA that I replace them as a matter of
course when I take a drain apart.

So did I , years ago. Likely more than once.

You can buy PVC kits that replace
everything from the tail coming out of sink to the compression fitting
on the wall. If drain is exposed (vanities were rare in the 50s), and
looks matter to you, you can still get the chromed brass stuff, for a
little more money.

All that's left is maybe an inch of the pipe going into the wall.
Just enough to get the PVC compression fitting on.

If you wanna keep trying chemicals, I have had the best luck with the
binary cleaners- two liquids in a siamese jug. But that may be a
function of my local water and the brand of soap I use.

I'll try anything the way it's looking now.

Thx,