Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Okay, more questions partaining to A/C evaporator coils and condensation drip lines...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Have just installed a piece into the drip line of my home's central
A/C evaporator unit that will allow me to connect a garden hose and
wash out the line downstream from the evaporator, as well as adding
bleach water to the same part of the system. Thing is, the 3/4" PVC
pipe was almost completely blocked by whatever is growing in there,
and now I am wondering if my evaporator coil is in similar condition.
It's been at least ten years since this unit was installed, and it is
a sealed unit, with no access to the drip pan for placement of
tablets or chemicles to prevent the growth of what now nearly blocks
my drip line. Am I going to have to pay someone to take this damn
thing apart and clean it, or is it possible that I could do that? I
am fairly handy with tools, but have never (yet) attempted anything
like this. What say those who know about such things? I am willing
to tackle it, I would just hate to screw it up.
Just for informational purposes, the evaporator sits above the blower
unit (in a closet at the center of the house) and the rest of the
system is up in the attic (ductwork) and outside (compressor, I
believe it is called.) I guess I need to get some estimates, and
talk with someone who does this professionally. In the meantime I am
all ears for those who care to share their opinions on what I
describe.

While mine has removable panels, it seemed a lot of trouble to remove
eight screws.

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the sheet metal for adding the bleach (with a
funnel), closed the hole with a cork, and called it done.

Looking at the thing again this AM, I see that there are four screws in
addition to the tape. But there are also hoses coming out of that panel,
which is the only panel I have access to. And those hoses would seriously
interfere with an attempts to get the panel out of the way. Your idea of
just drilling a hole sounds like a wonderful one, so long as I don't hit
anything on the other side. Will have to consider this, and find a way to
make it work. Thanks for the input...

Dave