Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 6/30/2010 7:55 AM, Jason Bourne wrote:
On 6/29/10 7:27 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:
Got three dead 48" tubes from my shop lights. What's the right method
for disposal?

"Javelining" suggestion is the clear winner-- I like it in part because
I actually threw a javelin back in the day on the high school track team.

As for the $5000 disposal bill from the feds, that's not as far-fetched
as you'd like to think.

I'm self-employed and have two Keogh retirement accounts. If you own a
Keogh, you have to file a Form 5500 EZ annually with the IRS which
simply is a report of how much money you contributed to the account the
past year and what's the current balance in the account. Why that form
needs to be eight pages long is another story.

Anyway, as I have been doing each July for the last 20 years, I fill out
the forms, stuff them in an envelope and mail them off. In July 2009, I
get a form letter telling me I am delinquent because I only filed one
form with them for 2007. So I write back saying that I filed both forms
and mailed them both in the same envelope. I said that since they got
one, they must have received the other one as well. I also enclosed a
photo copy of the form they say I never filed.

About three months later, I get a letter saying they are imposing a
$14,300 fine (yes, fourteen THOUSAND bucks!) payable in 60 days just for
filing a report a year late! Note that I hadn't owed them any money,
just that they said I didn't file a report! They counted the date they
received the photocopy as the original filing date.

I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone so I write back again
saying my report was timely filed and no fine is due. They write back
again and say pay up or they will seize the money from the Keogh account.

At this point, I know I've got a real problem so I go to my
congressman's district office with the paperwork and ask for his help
dealing with those idiots. I'll say this, the next month, I get another
letter from IRS saying no penalty is due and the matter is resolved! You
can believe the guy gets my vote this year!

Affirmative Action strikes again. "Hello, employment service? Do you
have any imbeciles applying for work today? Yes? Good! Send them on
over, we need some more bureaucrats for our government office."

TDD