Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on what to put in A/C condenser unit to clean out dripline...

On 6/30/2010 9:14 PM, Dave wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 6/29/2010 2:04 PM, Dave wrote:
We have some kind of clearish, gel-like stuff growing in our drip line,
and
I really don't think bleach is the best thing to be dumping in my yard.
Thinking if I just change the Ph a little for a while, like with vinegar
or
maybe even a couple pots of (cooled) tea, it might eliminate the problem.
What do others use?

To be fair, the guy who works on our unit says he uses bleach every
couple
months, but his drip line goes to the sewer and mine doesn't. My wife
mentioned the bleach idea to a building engineer where she works (40
story
block-wide building in downtown Houston) and he got really serious,
saying
don't ever put chlorine bleacn in anything like a drip line. It will eat
up
anything it comes in contact with. Now, I know that chlorine is highly
reactive, but is schedule 40 PVC really that fragile? If I had to I
could
catch the drip for a couple days...

Dave (who is uncertain at this point.)

Thanks

The gel is probably yeast. I see it in restaurant ice machines when I
clean them, if you bake your own bread on occasion that may be the source.
Ask your HVAC repairman if he could install a time release
detergent/biocide pad/strip in the evaporator drain pan. It will release
the chemicals slowly over a long period of time keeping the drain clear
and any odor down. Here's an example:

http://www.appliancepartscompany.com...oductid=355990

TDD

Why thank you, Daring one. That makes sense, as we bake bread all the time.
Yeast. Gives me a whole different perspective... Makes me think of
triclosan (sp?) which is the active ingredient in Lysol and anti-bacterial
Palmolive. Whole different perspective indeed. Was wondering why the
bleach didn't seem to cut the stuff, or at least not like I expected. Of
course, chlorine is a biocide too, but still. No detergent. All kinds of
ideas now. And I will definetely ask for such a strip/pad from the guy who
is coming to look at it. Thank you very, very much.

Dave

Me and my friends use the strips and tablets all the time. Some of the
manufacturers produce strips that contain a rubbery compound covered
with woven Nylon or polyester that looks something like a sock. The
strips are installed in the bottom of the condensate pan as far from
the drain as you can get it, the strip will last longer because it's not
under water and won't block the drain. The tiny amount of chemical
leaching from the pad/strip is all that's needed to keep the condensate
flowing through the trap and drain line. It's also effective if your
system has an electric condensate pump.

TDD