Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT -- Start-up File Issue

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:50:56 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote in message
m...
[snip]

This is nothing more than experienced speculation since you aren't even
positive about the dll name.

The dll is "itmsret.dll," as I first posted. There's really no hit to
speed or hanging programs beyond clicking "OK" acknowledging that the dll
isn't found.

Some AV programs sometimes prevent the installation of the dll but fail
to keep the start call from being written to the config file.

Interesting. I'll fire that off to the AV company's help list.

The Ranger

Eric stole my thunder. Msconfig is the tool to use. Do be careful what you
turn off. A suggested course of action is to look at everything that is
are if it is not in Google then it is some crapware that made it past your
AV. Sometimes the program uninstallers also fail to remove an entry here.
I have a couple of disabled items in mine because I hate to edit the
registry.

_Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and
advice on which services you can safely disable._

See OS version / List of services explained.

http://www.blackviper.com/

If you get a black background, select white on the left side.