Edwin Pawlowski

Default If you had $400 and needed a router/lift setup....

"Subw00er" wrote in message
om...
I've heard good things about the Jet xacta
lift (I have a jet saw) and the woodpecker version (not sure its worth
$300?!).

I am tentatively planning on the xacta lift and a dewalt router (I'm
partial to dewalt, but not sure of their router's abilities yet).
Ideally, I'd get a router that had a plunge and standard base so I
could permanenetly mount the base to the router lift and use the plung
when needed. I'd definitely want the removal of teh router to be quick
and if the router had a shaft lock thats a plus.

Check how the lift mounts the router before you buy. I have a Benchdog lift
and it is excellent. It holds the router with no base. While not difficult
to take in and out, I'd not want to do it that way at all.

Router tables with an insert usually have the router base bolted to them. In
the case of a lift, it will usually hold it around the router body. I can't
speak for other brands as I just don't know how they mount. What you will
end up doing is buying two routers. One hand held, the other mounted. You
will make that decision after the first time you take the router from the
table, make one pass hand held, then put it back into the table.

You have a couple of options that will keep you near your budget. The lift
is $229. You can get a 2 1/4 hp router for about $180. That leaves $100
for a hand held router. Best price for the lift was from www.routerbits.com
Do some shopping around and look at different configurations that will do
the job.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome