Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Resetting AC indoor breaker; and what's wrong with my AC.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:54:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Normally I wouldn't care, but the indoor double breaker for the AC
seemed to make a strange noise when being reset, like a few little
metal blades from a tiny metal fan hitting something, like a Chinese
fan that a woman carries, which I feared was actually the noise of
arcing. And the breaker would NOT reset! So this moise made me feel
I was damaging or further damaging it.

Your compressor is probably toast. I've heard that dreaded sound
many times and had to deliver the bad news to the owner.

TDD

It may be a good thing. I was flirting with only replacing the
furnace, since I use the AC so little. But I'll do both.