Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default OT -- Start-up File Issue

"The Ranger" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote in message
news
"The Ranger" wrote in message

ndwidth...
Upon bring my computer to life this morning, the start-up process
clunked and clinked through the too-numerous items I enjoy
over-loading my system tray with when Dr Watson's unhelpful
warning screen appeared, "File itmsret.dll not found. OK?"

Since the process didn't hang at any point (to my untrained observance)
and the BSoD didn't follow clicking the "OK," I turn to the collective
here and ask what's that particular dll do and why should I care? (And,
yes, I've consulted Goojaismyfriend.)

Are you positive that's the name of the DLL? I've never been unable to
find info on a DLL file using google, but as you said, the one you
mentioned comes up with absolutely nothing.

It might be "itsmret.dll" but that didn't net any hits either during my
Gooja kuhnoodling.

While you're waiting for responses, I'd suggest that you run the free
version of the program shown he

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Been using is for a long time; thanks. That is always "Step 2" in my
regular 12-stepper.

Follow that with your own antivirus program, set to FULL SCAN
(all files on the system). Your AV software is up to date, right?

Yes. Running that updater is a part of my morning routine that I don't
vary, on purpose.

The Ranger

And those two programs have detected nothing unusual?

Something is obviously looking for that DLL. What changes have been made to
your computer? Is it being used by children or any larger people who behave
like children? Anyone who might be visiting dubious web sites?