Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Gas fireplace advice

"jtpr" wrote in message
We live in coastal NH and renovated out house a couple of years ago.
The one thing we miss from our old house is the fireplace and wood
stove. Without going into the difficulties of putting in a real
fireplace/chiminey in this house I have come to the conclusion that a
nice solution might be a gas fireplace.

My undertanding is that these are, or can be, ventless so I would not
have to worry about an external chimney. My fantasy would be to build
a stone wall in the middle of the wall with the fireplace in it and
hang the LCD screen above the mantle. The house was originally a
1920's bungalow and this is the original part of it, thus it has only
2x4 walls. So I don't know if weight would be a factor. I think I
could get this done for less then 5k.

Any advice on this idea? Things I might run into as roadblocks? What
should I look for when looking at gas fireplaces?

Thanks,
Jim

For me, the issue is safety. The only CO monitor to buy is one that has a
constant digital readout. This will tell you if you have 5 parts or 205
parts. The screamers only scream when they reach threshold levels. With
the constant display models, you can fine tune a bit by opening a window, or
making a draft. A dumb thing to do when you are trying to heat, but some
fireplaces are just not very good at venting.

I have seen fireplace pipes where there are two pipes, one inside another.
One brings in fresh air, the other takes out combusted air. I don't believe
they give off a lot of radiant heat, but some do have blowers that catch
some of it.

Do your homework so you aren't installing a safety hazard, or something that
is going to cost 3x to yank and fix right. Do it once, do it right.

Steve