Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas fireplace advice

On Jun 28, 11:45*am, jtpr wrote:
We live in coastal NH and renovated out house a couple of years ago.
The one thing we miss from our old house is the fireplace and wood
stove. *Without going into the difficulties of putting in a real
fireplace/chiminey in this house I have come to the conclusion that a
nice solution might be a gas fireplace.

My undertanding is that these are, or can be, ventless so I would not
have to worry about an external chimney. *My fantasy would be to build
a stone wall in the middle of the wall with the fireplace in it and
hang the LCD screen above the mantle. *The house was originally a
1920's bungalow and this is the original part of it, thus it has only
2x4 walls. *So I don't know if weight would be a factor. *I think I
could get this done for less then 5k.

Any advice on this idea? *Things I might run into as roadblocks? *What
should I look for when looking at gas fireplaces?

Thanks,
Jim

I'm not a fan of ventless. Basically you're breathing the conbustion
products. How well do you trust that you gas is 100% gas and nothing
else slips in?

You can install a vented fireplace that vents directly out a rear
wall. It does not have to go up. I have one at our lake house. The
vent is on the outside wall behind it. Funny thing is they built a
fake chimney above it. For curb appeal I guess. It also has a tv
space above it. It is a bit high but it's not too bad. Helps if you
have the fireplace directly at the floor level rather than up on a
hearth.