Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DVD Connections

"HerHusband" wrote
I have two Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuner cards, and a Hauppauge HVR-2250 dual
tuner card in my computer. My 1600's are connected to an outdoor antenna
to pick up over-the-air broadcasts (HD and SD), and my 2250 is connected
to my cable company to pick up free QAM channels (unencrypted channels
accessable without a cable box,

Admittedly, there's a bit of a learning curve and tweaking to get
everything setup properly. But being able to record four shows at once,
while watching a fifth, and no subscription fees makes it more than worth
it. True, we're basically limited to the major broadcast networks, but
I'm not interested in paying for the extra cable channels anyway.
Combine our TV recordings with a couple of movies from Netflix each week,
and streaming Netflix movies through my BluRay player, and we have WAY
more shows to watch than we have time for.

Interesting setup and not too costly. We don't get any OTA reception to
make putting an antenna feasible though. I'd still need a decoder as most
everything we watch is on the encrypted channels. History, TLC, Science,
Nat Geo and all pay-for.

How is the resolution on the Blu Ray downloads? I understand they cut the
resolution if you have a slower connection. Seems like a handy way of
getting movies though.