Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Gas fireplace advice

jtpr wrote:
We live in coastal NH and renovated out house a couple of years ago.
The one thing we miss from our old house is the fireplace and wood
stove. Without going into the difficulties of putting in a real
fireplace/chiminey in this house I have come to the conclusion that a
nice solution might be a gas fireplace.

My undertanding is that these are, or can be, ventless so I would not
have to worry about an external chimney. My fantasy would be to build
a stone wall in the middle of the wall with the fireplace in it and
hang the LCD screen above the mantle. The house was originally a
1920's bungalow and this is the original part of it, thus it has only
2x4 walls. So I don't know if weight would be a factor. I think I
could get this done for less then 5k.

Any advice on this idea? Things I might run into as roadblocks? What
should I look for when looking at gas fireplaces?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,
It is not much of a trouble installing direct vent FP.