Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Very Small Engine Repair

On Jun 28, 1:00*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 28, 9:59*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

On Jun 28, 10:24*am, ransley wrote:

A compression test is the cheapest and easiest thing to do to find out
about a motors condition and life left, If I were shopping for
something used I would carry a tester and wrench. Smoke out of oil
means nothing yet, it could be many simple things like a dirty carb,
flywheel key, coil, ignition module, and as simple as a bad plug wire
or plug that fails to carry full current under load but will idle, ive
had all these things happen. Was any gas left in the carburator over
the winter, empting the tank doesnt empty the carb, if gas was left
in, then the carb is what I would do first.

If it starts and runs, if only for a minute, the timing is ok. Timing
doesn't change under normal circumstances. Spark plugs can operate
under a "no Load" condition, and fail under a load. He obviously has
an air/fuel mixture problem.

Hank

*He said it fails under throttle, to me that means many things that it
could be, but the most logical is he left gas in the carb.-

That would be my first place to look too. As I stated, an air-to-fuel
ratio problem, which is usually caused by a dirty carb, or some
restricted fuel flow problem. But, we'll probably never know.

Hank