Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Very Small Engine Repair

On Jun 26, 5:22*pm, Ned Flanders wrote:
I have a small tiller I bought second had - 4 stroke. It ran well the
first year and then it developed a small problem. I can start it (fresh
gas, clean oil), but as soon as I pull on the throttle it stalls. when
it stalls I get a little blow back out of the throat of the carburetor.
Also if I take the oil cap off while it is running there is blow back
coming out of there as well.

I am not afraid to rip it down, as I can do minor engine repairs. I was
just hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am thinking a gasket...

It's not worth taking in for repair as the labour would cost more then
the thing is worth.

A compression test is the cheapest and easiest thing to do to find out
about a motors condition and life left, If I were shopping for
something used I would carry a tester and wrench. Smoke out of oil
means nothing yet, it could be many simple things like a dirty carb,
flywheel key, coil, ignition module, and as simple as a bad plug wire
or plug that fails to carry full current under load but will idle, ive
had all these things happen. Was any gas left in the carburator over
the winter, empting the tank doesnt empty the carb, if gas was left
in, then the carb is what I would do first.