Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Small Engine Repair

On Jun 28, 1:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:16:45 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I bought a new Murray a couple of weeks ago for $20. *It had a dirty float
bowl and jet. *When I pulled the handle, I had to pull it VERY slowly to
feel any compression. *I believe these are very low compression motors,
and
function well at that compression.

Steve

I guess my impression is based on the fact that it seems old cars and
old lawn mowers, when the rest is in good working order, seem to start
more easily than new ones. *Cars turn over faster and mowers pull
eeaiser and they start right up.

This may have been much more noticable 20 or 30 years ago before
improvements in spark and fuel supplies

Well, I agree with the spark, but the fuel supplies have gotten chintzier
with plastic elements that wear out or rot faster. *Why did we not have
prime bulbs on the older ones? *Just a choke. *These new carb rebuild kits
are not rocket surgery, but they are a little fine. *Some very little parts,
and if you get some grit in there, or get it a little off, you have to go
buy a new kit because you poked a hole in some delicate piece of plastic
clear gasket.

But I do have my new used $20 Snap on parts washer now, and that should make
things a little easier. *That's a big thing to me, whether it be mowers, or
cars, or tractors. *It's always nice to have a place inside where you can
keep it clean, elevate it to waist high working level, and have good
lighting and room to lay out the parts as they come off. *And if you can't
put it together for a while, just put a cover or towel over it, and it will
keep the dust and sand out of it until you can come back and finish the job.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..- Hide quoted text -

Mostly the prime bulbs are on diaphram carbs. And that's because the
carb is also a fuel pump. They've always had little parts and tiny
orifices, that's just the nature of a carb for an engine that small.
I don't see that much has changed, you've always needed to be careful
rebuilding carbs.