Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT Autopsy results.

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote

Double tap is the signature of the IDF. Two shots, at the same point on

target will almost always penetrate more deeply and more likely deliver

lethal blow. Two shots can mimic the impact of a bullet of twice the
caliber by having one bullet help pave the way for a second to

penetrate
body armor or shatter ribs. In this case, they appeared to be worried

about
what would have if the targets did not drop immediately, so they went

for
head shot rather than the center of mass

Bull.

Good morning to you, sir!

Spreading shots around will more than likely injure more than one
vital organ, and more than likely sever more than one blood vessel. It's

Hollywood theory.

I didn't learn it from movies, much to Harry's chagrin, but from an IDF
officer I met on joint assignment. SHE also convinced me to upgrade from a
Beretta .380 to a Browning HP 9mm, which at the time was the NATO standard
sidearm at a time when the US still used the 1911 Colt. I've seen,
personally, two 9mm FMJ rounds penetrate what was then a Kevlar
state-of-the-art bullet *resistant* vest. A single shot only got embedded
but did serious structural damage to the vest at the point of impact.

Back in the '80's, we saw a lot of crims, terrorists and other non-military
situations using body armor and much concern was given by police and
military that they, themselves were vulnerable to double-tapping.

Are you *really* going to make me drag my tired butt through Google, Steve?
Maybe this is some Apple/IBM-like doctrinal thing I am unaware of, but I am
personally convinced that double tapping brings down more targets,
particularly the most dangerous types - the hardened target - than single
shots, spread shots, whatever.

There's also the cognitive issue of "time to reacquire the target" between
shots. Double-tapping makes it easier to compensate for the recoil and
bring the sight back to the original target. It's milliseconds, to be sure,
but you know those Israelis, they'll take any edge they can get. The fact
that they still teach it to all their soldiers alone convinces me that they
believe it works. If I was in a bad, bad situation, I'd want the IDF to
come pull me out, and if they weren't around, the USMC just because of how
much "heart" they have.

While looking for the IDF's training manuals I found this gem. Check out
what comes off NYC streets.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/category/police/

And even the center mass theory has been updated in this
day of body armor. Spread them around, that is what I say. If a round

goes
through an opponent, what's the sense in sending another through the hole?

The point is (har, har) that a single round often DOESN'T go through but it
creates enough structural damage to vests and intervening bone that the
second round does penetrate to a VO. I've seen that (well, test pictures
that were circulating at the time) so I believe it (at least concerning the
vests that were in use 20 years ago!) As I am sure you know, there are all
sorts of vests and all sorts of rounds, so generalizations really can't be
made. I bring up simply to report what I've seen and why I believe
double-tapping results in more "kills" than other shooting strategies.

You can see for yourself he

http://www.savvysurvivor.com/body_ar...stic_tests.htm

The pictures there show the results of one hit on a vest. It's easy to see
how a second one in the same place can penetrate the vest because of the
damage done by the first.

So, until I read conclusive evidence to the contrary, I will continue to
double-tap and probably dump the whole damn magazine if someone's
threatening my life. (-:

--
Bobby G.