Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reasonable Cost?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:46:24 -0700, "CWLee"
wrote:

I recently had a small job done by a plumber, and I'm
wondering if I got a bargain, paid a typical price for this
task, or was overcharged. This is in the greater Los
Angeles area. I'd appreciate some feedback on the
reasonableness of what I was charged. Here are the details.

I had a 30-year old wobbly toilet. Plumber came out to
inspect the job. He said he would remove the toilet, remove
the old flange, install a new flange, and then reinstall the
toilet. Said it would take a couple of hours, and the price
would be $250. I agreed to that. He returned the next day
and did what he said. It took him 1 hour and 45 minutes, 30
minutes of which were a trip by him to a nearby Home Depot
to purchase the correct size/style/type flange - different
than the small selection he already had on his truck.
Toilet is now firm, and I'm satisfied with it.

Comments?

Thanks.

Not bad at all. I'm not sure why it took 1.75 hours though. An
experienced plumber should be able to do this in 15 minutes, but every
job has its complications. Did he caulk around the commode? You
could have done it yourself for less than $20, it's a fairly simple
task. There are small plastic wedges, made specifically for resting
a toilet on an uneven surface to prevent wobble.