Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB[_3_] LouB[_3_] is offline

Default Cost to run central A/C

Tony wrote:
Bill wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure the cost of running the central AC in my house.

If your heating is other than electric, then the cost is the
difference in your electric bill from the winter to the summer.

Or if there is a month in the spring when you don't use heating or
A/C, then the difference in the electric bill from that month and a
summer month.

Hint: If you get a couple of window air conditioners and just cool the
room(s) you are using, the cost will be lower. So just cool the living
room during the day and just cool the bedroom at night. If you have 6
kids and 7 bedrooms, then not much savings of course!

That's exactly what I getting at. I'm almost positive it costs less to
run 1 or 2 8,000 BTu window units than the central ac, even if I close
off the rooms not being used.

I suppose if I compared oranges to oranges and converted both central
and window rattler to a basic BTU's/watt that would be very helpful, but
I still need the specs on my compressor.

Have you sought help from your electric company?