Posted to alt.home.repair
Johnl Johnl is offline

Default Very Small Engine Repair

All good advice James.

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 7:00 am, Gary Dyrkacz.
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 15:22:23 -0700, Ned Flanders

wrote:
I have a small tiller I bought second had - 4 stroke. It ran well the
first year and then it developed a small problem. I can start it (fresh
gas, clean oil), but as soon as I pull on the throttle it stalls. when
it stalls I get a little blow back out of the throat of the carburetor.
Also if I take the oil cap off while it is running there is blow back
coming out of there as well.

I am not afraid to rip it down, as I can do minor engine repairs. I was
just hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am thinking a gasket...

It's not worth taking in for repair as the labour would cost more then
the thing is worth.

I would suspect an engine problem first, because of the blow back.
However, my mini-tiller has a centrifugal clutch and geared
transmission. If yours is similar, are you sure the gearbox is filled
with grease to prevent seizing?

They all blow back if the oil cap is off. The downstroke of the pston
does it. And blowing back through the carb is not that odd either.
If it stops on an up compression stroke it can turn backwards.

s another poster mentioned, sounds like a fuel problem. If it's
starting then it's not ignition, the spark improves as the rpm go up.
Also as another person mentioned low compression makes them hard to
start. If you get one started they will run with pretty low
compression.

I'd remove the float bowl and check the main jet.