Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to cut two 2 1/4" holes in vinyl soffit?

wrote:
(massive snip)

Nobody else said it, so I will- if OP can match the pattern and the
color of the existing soffit (or find a scrap piece in
basement/crawlspace/garage ceiling), cut the holes on the ground, snap
out the old panel, and snap the new one in. (Assuming he can pinpoint
where the holes need to be, of course.) If old panel can't be matched,
take it down, make the holes, and put it back up.

Yes, I know, old panel could be well fastened. But most I've seen of the
plastic variety are just sorta snapped into place. The debris I see on
roadsides and in yards after windstorms would tend to support that. Only
way to tell is get up there and poke at it.

I've found that trying to cut or drill 'floating' plastic in mid-air, is
like trying to machine a spring.
--
aem sends....