Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with the use of ceramic tile

For anyone contemplating installing ceramic tile anyplace other than a
bathroom or kitchen, a cautionary tale.

Couple days ago I went to a little eating establishment hereabouts
(Bezerkeley). I was disappointed not to find the little burrito place
I'd planned on eating at (Gallego's), but a new restaurant instead.
They'd remodeled the place. It looked very clean and tidy, with the same
ceramic tiles on both floor and partway up the walls.

It looked nice, but when I sat down with my pal to eat, I discovered a
problem. Because of all the hard surfaces, my own voice echoed off the
walls and floor and back to my ear in a quite unpleasant way. It sounded
like a bad part of a subway station.

So you might want to keep this in mind if you plan on tiling a place
where people might be sitting and conversing. I suppose it might work OK
if there were some acoustically "soft" surfaces nearby to compensate.