Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Cost to run central A/C

On 6/26/2010 1:31 PM, Tony wrote:
I'm trying to figure the cost of running the central AC in my house.
Inside was fairly easy, a 1/2hp fan motor. Outside the numbers on the
plate from the factory are long gone. I found on the fan motor that it
is 1/8hp. Now the compressor.... On it is listed the voltage but not the
amps or watts but it does list the LRA (locked rotor amps) of 105.0 It
is a Copeland CR38K6-PFV-370.

I found this site but even this isn't very useful to me only giving me
the RLA of 19. I read the RLA is "rated load amps" and does not mean
"Running Load Amps". RLA being the most current it should draw under the
harshest conditions.

http://www.nordyne.com/literature/8569%20Compr.pdf

The best would be to compare the
electric meter with the unit running and
not running. This way you will have
actual watt-hours and you don't have to
think of things like power factor, etc.
But, it will change depending on