Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Cost to run central A/C

In article ,
Tony wrote:

I'm trying to figure the cost of running the central AC in my house.
Inside was fairly easy, a 1/2hp fan motor. Outside the numbers on the
plate from the factory are long gone. I found on the fan motor that it
is 1/8hp. Now the compressor.... On it is listed the voltage but not
the amps or watts but it does list the LRA (locked rotor amps) of 105.0
It is a Copeland CR38K6-PFV-370.

I found this site but even this isn't very useful to me only giving me
the RLA of 19. I read the RLA is "rated load amps" and does not mean
"Running Load Amps". RLA being the most current it should draw under
the harshest conditions.

http://www.nordyne.com/literature/8569%20Compr.pdf

Now that my g.f. has a smart meter, she can go online with her iphone
and see a little graph that shows her electricity usage doubling during
my visits. But you could do that yourself with any meter. Just run the
A/C normally one week, and not at all the next. Compare results and
you've got your answer.