Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cost to run central A/C

On Jun 26, 12:31*pm, Tony wrote:
I'm trying to figure the cost of running the central AC in my house.
Inside was fairly easy, a 1/2hp fan motor. *Outside the numbers on the
plate from the factory are long gone. *I found on the fan motor that it
is 1/8hp. *Now the compressor.... *On it is listed the voltage but not
the amps or watts but it does list the LRA (locked rotor amps) of 105.0
* It is a Copeland CR38K6-PFV-370.

I found this site but even this isn't very useful to me only giving me
the RLA of 19. *I read the RLA is "rated load amps" and does not mean
"Running Load Amps". *RLA being the most current it should draw under
the harshest conditions.

http://www.nordyne.com/literature/8569%20Compr.pdf

Time wont do it nor will ratings on the fan or compressor take into
account the controll board, other components in the condensor and how
age and condition of unit play a big part in total useage. Use a clamp
on amp meter at the circuit panel, an old fan or compressor near
failure can use alot more power, air restrictions you are unaware of
will also affect everything.