Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default How to cut two 2 1/4" holes in vinyl soffit?

wrote in message
On Jun 26, 9:42 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 25, 9:41 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Jun 24, 10:17 pm, "WW" wrote:

wrote in message

I need to cut two 2 1/4" holes in a vinyl vent type soffit. The
holes will be next to each other for 2" PVC pipe to run through. The
soffit vent material is not flat. It's flat for a few inches then
has
about a 1/2 dip, then flat again, etc. Any ideas on how to proceed?
It's at the top of the second story too, so access is only from a
ladder. Best thing I could come up with so far is a hole saw?
Also, I figure the back up plan if I screw up the holes is to cut a
square opening with a key hole saw and then find a piece of the same
vinyl soffit, cut the holes in that piece on the ground, then glue
it
over the cut opening.

Any other ideas?

Find a food can that is 2 1/4 inch diameter. Cut out the top. Heat
with
propane torch. the upper edge. Press against the soffit and melt
through
the
plastic. Leaves a smooth edge. WW

That's an interesting possibility and worth a try. If it works, it
would be very simple. I think what I need to do next regardless of
the approach is find a piece of similar or identical soffit material
so I can do some experimenting.

Thanks for the idea.

===========

What's your co-pay for an emergency room visit? Do you need your hands
do
your job?- Hide quoted text -

What exactly is so dangerous about heating up the end of a tin can or
similar and using it to cut cut through the soffit as opposed to any
other method, eg hole saw? You have heard of gloves, haven't you?

=====================

Pish posh. It's a silly idea. Buy a Dremel tool if you don't have one.
Everyone should. Their web site's got a guide to which bits would work
best
for your job. Home Despot or Lowe's both carry the bits.- Hide quoted
text -

I have a Dremel and I don't see it as being a good solution. How can
one control the pattern so that you get a round hole? Remember, this
is 20 ft up in the air, on a soffit. With a hole saw, you have the
center arbor that will help keep it in place.

Besides calling the idea to use a heated tin can or similar "silly",
and offering "pish posh", whatever that means, I have yet to hear you
explain what exactly is wrong with it and why it could not work?

==========

When you get the can hot enough, for long enough to do the job, it'll
obviously be unsafe to handle. And yes, I've heard of gloves. Got any
ancient asbestos gloves? No? Fugettabout this idea.

The hole saw's a great idea, but if you have any concerns about it grabbing
the plastic and messing up the job, a more precise method is called for.
Granted, running the hole saw backwards will help prevent grabbing, but it
sounds like you're not comfortable yet with the tool.

The Dremel would be easy to control. I used to do custom car audio
installations and I've used a Dremel to cut literally hundred of dashboards,
while working in positions which were as tricky as standing on a ladder.