Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Problem with Kitchen Islands

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:01:18 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"David Combs" wrote

An island in isolation is poor design, yes. Done right it works well.

As long as you like twisting 180 all the time, instead of just
reaching left or right, or stepping to the side.

You are being shortsighted in your vision of kitchens. Depending on what
you need and what the layout is, a turn around 180 degrees can be preferable
to stepping six steps to the side. There are millions of scenarios with
different recipes, utensils, appliances and numbers of steps that can show
one or the other is preferable. One person cooking or two? Using the
range or the oven or both? Prepping hot or cold? Making pasta from
scratch while your partner is baking a cake or frying eggs makes a
difference in what works best.

Of if it's just one, multitasking. SWMBO loves our island for baking.

Not everyone works as you do, nor should they.

My bet is that he's never used an island in a kitchen that's really large
enough to fit one effectively.