Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default The Problem with Kitchen Islands

On 06/25/10 12:57 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"So are your outlets under the counter so the cords get in the
way?"

I don't have an island, but I have a workshop with a workbench.

There is a series of receptacles evenly spaced along the frame of the
workbench, a few inches below the overhang of the workbench top. The
receptacles face out into the shop.

When tools are plugged into these receptacles the cords hang straight
down, out of the way, instead of running all across the workbench.
Since there is an overhang, the cords are not any type of tripping
hazard.

If I ever have a kitchen large enough to have an island, I would
design it so the receptacles were installed in a similar fashion.

I have a UK-published book on workshops (a few decades old now) that
shows track (as in "track lighting") into which not only lights but also
suspended power outlets could be installed. If it was safe enough for
240-volt supplies, one would think that something similar could be
marketed for 120-volt systems -- although the wiring would have to be
heavier because of the increased current.

Perce