Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Oil spill

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
Ok, what's wrong with this plan to reduce (not stop) the oil from
flowing until the relief wells are drilled?

They apparently can use a saw to cut the pipe. Apparently the saw
blade is such that the pressure doesn't bend the blade too much while
cutting thru. They could cut a slit into the pipe about 1/3 (more or
less) thru and then insert a metal plate configured to the shape of
the inside of the pipe to reduce the flow? Sorta like a gate valve.
This alone would reduce the amount of flow by as much as 50%+, and
possibly reducing the pressure, then use the cap to collect even more.

I know there are some smart people on here, so, what am I missing?

Hank

My solution for capturing the oil is to make a huge tank, like a hot air
balloon...have no idea of a flexible material that might hold oil. Said
balloon has a heavy lead or concrete ring at the base and the ring is
lowered over the pipe. "Balloon" fills with oil, rises to surface and
is captured. It can have a flexible valve, like a heart valve, to
prevent outflow. Line them up and keep filling them until the relief
wells are done.