Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default Oil spill

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
Ok, what's wrong with this plan to reduce (not stop) the oil from
flowing until the relief wells are drilled?

They apparently can use a saw to cut the pipe. Apparently the saw
blade is such that the pressure doesn't bend the blade too much while
cutting thru. They could cut a slit into the pipe about 1/3 (more or
less) thru and then insert a metal plate configured to the shape of
the inside of the pipe to reduce the flow? Sorta like a gate valve.
This alone would reduce the amount of flow by as much as 50%+, and
possibly reducing the pressure, then use the cap to collect even more.

I know there are some smart people on here, so, what am I missing?

Hank

They could put a big cork on the end of a torpedo and fire it into the well.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.