Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Oil spill

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

Ok, what's wrong with this plan to reduce (not stop) the oil from
flowing until the relief wells are drilled?

They apparently can use a saw to cut the pipe. Apparently the saw
blade is such that the pressure doesn't bend the blade too much while
cutting thru. They could cut a slit into the pipe about 1/3 (more or
less) thru and then insert a metal plate configured to the shape of
the inside of the pipe to reduce the flow? Sorta like a gate valve.
This alone would reduce the amount of flow by as much as 50%+, and
possibly reducing the pressure, then use the cap to collect even more.

I know there are some smart people on here, so, what am I missing?

It sounds workable to me. . . but. . . . It appears that they are
afraid to *stop* the flow. I don't know if that is corporate greed,
or fear that if they *plug* this hole the well pressure could blow a
totally unstoppable hole someplace else.
[BTW- I know as little or less than you about the whole deal- just
what I've seen and read in the last 2 months]

Jim
[watched the debut of HBOs Gasland last night & I'm not sure natural
gas is the perfect answer as it once looked to me]