Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default What kind of steel in wood-cutting circular saw blade?

wrote in message
On Jul 2, 5:29 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

Most of the plain non-carbide circular saw blades are disposable items
for Skilsaws, carbide has pretty much taken over most of the rest of
the market. Used to get Sandvik Skilsaw blades by the dozen, were
cheap enough that if I hit a nail, I didn't feel too poor in the
pocket to put a new on. Made for demolition and renovation. And I
didn't really care what the steel was, just that the blade was cheap
and good enough for the purpose. Don't need $100 blades for whacking
rotten 2x4s.

OTOH you can get burned. My Bosch 10x60 blade that came with the miter saw
needed sharpening so I thought I would buy a spare while I waited for the
Bosch to come back from the shop. I got one on line for about $35 (it came
with a 1/4" spiral router bit). Form the beginning it gave me trouble: It
was burning wood (yeah, rotten 2x4s) and twice it grabbed a small piece and
flung it into the wall. I had the blade looked at by the guy who did the
sharpening. He showed me all sorts of things on the blade such as the poor
way the initial sharpening was done, poor brazing of the carbide to the
blade and some other features which he could only explain if the blade was
run backwards to cut aluminum (it was not, certainly not in my possession).

I took it home and re-checked the mounting: Nothing wrong there. I
re-inserted the Bosch, now sharpened. I replicated the cuts which gave the
other blade trouble: The Bosch went through the material like through
butter.

Considering that the sharpening guy described the Bosch as a "throwaway
blade" (a blade given away with the machine, not expected to survive long)
what does it say about the new blade? The outcome is that I will never use
it again and when the time comes I will buy myself a nice $80 Freud. It just
not worth the hassle, damaged projects and the risk of injury.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

BTW this is a second attempt to post. Apologies if the original pops up
somewhere along the line as well.