BigWallop

Default Boiler pilot light went out

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Our boiler pilot light went out today. Not sure when - the heating was
working this morning, but wasn't by about 2pm when my wife got home and
turned it back on.

I had some trouble getting it to stay lit - I kept the gas button pressed

in
for 30 seconds as per the instructions, but it didn't stay lit when I
stopped pressing it. In the end I turned the boiler thermostat to

something
other than 'Off' (which the instructions said it should be on). When I
released the gas button, the main burner fired up and it stayed lit. When
the main burner turned off later, pilot was still lit.

Now - any idea what may have caused this? Problem with the boiler I would
assume - the chance of the gas running out is low. Its an old Baxi wall
mounted boiler.

When I'd got the boiler working again, I saw that the burner would pulse
orange. It would be blue, then you'd hear a bit of a 'woosh' and it went
bright orange (whole burner) and then went blue again. It kept doing this
on a 5 second or so cycle. After its been on for a couple of hours, its
burning continuous blue again. Oh, and when it went 'woosh' you could see

little puff of something come out the whole where the top thermocouple

comes
out - which worried me.

Therefore I've booked the boiler in for a service on the 3rd Nov - its the
first time we'll have had it serviced since we moved here in May. Looks
like its not been serviced in a while (though the pilot thermocouple looks
quite clean and shiny!). We've had a little CO check thing next to the
boiler, and it hasn't gone dark. Since noticing the puff of something, I
moved the CO check thing to just above the thermocouple hole and I think

its
gone a little darker than it may have - but its certainly not "grey or
black" as the thing says to check for.

So - any initial thoughts about the cause of the pilot light going out?

Any
problems you think I've got with my boiler? I certainly don't want to

have
to replace it!

I was already planning on getting it serviced - just made sure I did it

now!

Thanks

Wind up your flue. If it is an old style boiler, then get the flue checked
out to see if it isn't being effected by the wind.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com