Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Paint removal - masonary

Spamlet wrote:
"mo" wrote in message
.. .
The paint on my shed is flaking - some of it comes off quite easily
with a scraper but some is more stubborn.

As far as I know the 2 paint removal methods are a heat gun or
somesort of chemical that you paint on

What is the ebst to use outside?

The shed is made of breezeblock I think but the external bit is
smooth so I
guess it must be rendered or something....

When I repaint it I will be using masonary paint of course which can
be bought textured or smooht - will textured cover up bumps/cracks
better?

I've never managed to get paint off masonry with a blowtorch/heatgun.
Not entirely sure why: suspect that the surface is too rough and
porous, so the solvent/wood resin vapours cannot build up to form the
blisters that lift the paint.

Not a job that I would want to be lumbered with, and I would imagine
the pros would bead blast. You might be able to clean it up with a
power washer, before repainting. Wire brushing a whole wall by hand
would wear you out in no time, and using a powered brush would leave
metal over the masonry which would make rust marks.

Powerwash would be my bet. (Watch out for any woodwork though, as a
fully focused jet will drill it.)

B Tenders, wire brushing will sort it out.