Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default mower runs for a couple of minutes only

On Jun 24, 10:39*am, John Smith wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:21 pm, John Smith wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:30:40 -0400, John Smith
wrote:
I have a Scotts Turf Vac3 mower. A while ago, I noticed that
occasionally it wouldn't start when hot. Now, the problem is very
severe. When I start the engine the first time (when the engine is
cold), no problems. But the engine would run for only a couple of
minutes. Then, it'd quit. Once it quits, I can't start it again. I
need to wait for an hour before it'd start again. But once it
starts, it'd run for a couple of minutes and quit. And the waiting
game begins.
I changed the filter and the spark plug to no avail. I tried
running the engine with the gas tank cap off. No use. I cleaned
the carburetor. Nothing changed.
What could be the problem? Thanks.
What kind of ignition?
A cracked *coil, allowing moisture into the coil would act this way..
When the coil heats, the cracks expands
What type ignition?
Thanks for the quick response. The mower has a Tecumseh
OVRM120-22032E engine. I looked it up and found that it has a
solid state ignition.- Hide quoted text -

It still has a coil. *You need to take the plug out and see if ithas
spark once you get it hot. *Basically 98% of the problems wiht these
small engines are fuel or ignition. *Check for spark to eliminate or
confirm the ignition.

I checked it. No sparks. I think I can rule out carburetor and gas
tank vent now. What next? Replacing the ignition module?- Hide quoted text -

If youve hit any rocks or stalled the motor by the blade hitting
anything the flywheel key could be bent or sheared, that alters timing
and can make it run like crap but electronics would be a first bet,
even a bad plug or wire might go off when hot. But ive usualy ended up
with the coil or module being the failed part