Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default HF knock-off

On May 16, 8:14*pm, Red Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote innews:wLmdnXoyWcCxsG3WnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

notbob wrote:
On 2010-05-16, HeyBub wrote:

It's only a couple of bucks more than the walk-in-off-the-street
price at Harbor Freight, but you don't get no free flashlight. And
who wants a cheap Chinese tool anyway?

I've found another one here at a regional farm/feed/tool/clothing
chain (4 states) that costs only $40, so is undoubtedly also Chinese,
but comes with a 2-yr warrantee. *Don't know the brand name, but this
chain typically sells med-high end stuff.

Yep. The tool is such a good idea that everybody wants to get in on
the act. Who makes them now?

* Fein,
* Rockwell,
* Bosch,
* Dremel,
* Craftsman,
* These new guys, RichPower,
* Maybe some others,
and of course
* Harbor Freight.

Still, my hat's off to HF for being the first dog out of the chute
when the Fein patent expired. And, of course, still being the
cheapest.

You guys are killing me. I've relocated back to VT from NC where there
was a HF a few miles away. There are none in VT.

That's the nice thing about moving *out* of VT. ;-) Though there
aren't any HFs locally, there are five withing 100mi (one 50mi).
There are also two WoodCrafts, a Rockler, and a PeachtreeWoodworking
within the 100mi. VT sucked all around.

I have had the official alt.home.repair membership HF Multifunction Tool
for some time now when I got it in NC. In the short time I've been here
one task now underway is the installation of 3/4" hardwood floor. I've
had to undercut toe kicks, raise jamb molding, notch this and notch that,
cut slivers off, yadda yadda.

Fortunately someone here mentioned that some of the Dremel blades will
fit it and that's been a life saver. But some day it's gonna die...and
I'm gonna die with it from grief. I've already been to the real supply
stores sizing up the various MF tools. No brainer to replace it. Spending
a couple of C notes on maybe a Rockwell is not an issue compared to what
they can do. Now at the point where hey, for another C note I can get a
bare bones Fein insert BSG.

HF has a web site. ;-) I bought a Dremel MF tool, mainly because
Lowes didn't have the Bosch in stock when I needed it.

BTW, I picked up a flooring nailer on the HD web site for $120. Shoots
staples, T-Cleats, and L-Cleats. I've been using L-Cleats and it works
like a charm. If I recall, HF had one that a lot of people said worked
great. This one is actually less expensive, more versatile and the
company actually has a web site with parts availability.

* * * * Numax SFL618http://numaxtools.com/sfl618.html

That's good to know. I may do some flooring next year and was
thinking about the HF nailer.

I figure when I'm done I can probably unload it on eBay for $60.

I probably have your Bostich siding nailer. ;-)