Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mower runs for a couple of minutes only

On Jun 24, 11:39*am, John Smith wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:21 pm, John Smith wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:30:40 -0400, John Smith
wrote:
I have a Scotts Turf Vac3 mower. A while ago, I noticed that
occasionally it wouldn't start when hot. Now, the problem is very
severe. When I start the engine the first time (when the engine is
cold), no problems. But the engine would run for only a couple of
minutes. Then, it'd quit. Once it quits, I can't start it again. I
need to wait for an hour before it'd start again. But once it
starts, it'd run for a couple of minutes and quit. And the waiting
game begins.
I changed the filter and the spark plug to no avail. I tried
running the engine with the gas tank cap off. No use. I cleaned
the carburetor. Nothing changed.
What could be the problem? Thanks.
What kind of ignition?
A cracked *coil, allowing moisture into the coil would act this way..
When the coil heats, the cracks expands
What type ignition?
Thanks for the quick response. The mower has a Tecumseh
OVRM120-22032E engine. I looked it up and found that it has a
solid state ignition.- Hide quoted text -

It still has a coil. *You need to take the plug out and see if ithas
spark once you get it hot. *Basically 98% of the problems wiht these
small engines are fuel or ignition. *Check for spark to eliminate or
confirm the ignition.

I checked it. No sparks. I think I can rule out carburetor and gas
tank vent now. What next? Replacing the ignition module?- Hide quoted text -

I think that more often heat related is the coil. Most of mine simply
have a coil and a wire to the plug. I'm thinking form your posts you
have a coil and some sort of ignition module. If you've got a can of
car refrigerant handy you can ice down the suspect parts individually
and see if that fixes it.