Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Invasion of the red ants

wrote in message
stuff snipped

.... what does boric acid do to ants? -- Steve

It is a slow acting poison if you use a small dose.

It also works to keep flea eggs from hatching...that from our vet when
our cat had an awful case of fleas and just before topical treatment was
available.

When I lived in an old walk up in NYC, I sprinkled boric acid all around the
kitchen floor because the roaches were so thick. They sailed right through
piles of the stuff like they were skiing and it had no visible affect on
them at all. I suspect NYC roaches have some sort of super immunity from
being exposed to every insecticide known to man.

The roach infestations in old buildings like that is unbelievable. They
grow so large you can actually hear them scuttling around. I remember the
shock of turning on the bathroom light one night and seeing the wall seem to
move as dozens scurried for the dark when the light came on.

It's nice to be reminded that at least I don't have to put up with those
nasty little critters anymore. The last time I saw one here was years ago,
and that was a hitchhiker that came in the bottom of a paper bag from the
supermarket. This year, it's stink bugs, tiger crickets, sugar ants and
squirrels. The removal of the red maple out front has seriously altered the
eco-system around the house. Had to Hav-a-hart some squirrels over to the
next town as they were trying to move into the attic after the loss of their
home.

Learned a great trick from the 'net to keep them from damaging themselves on
the way to their new home. Peanut butter and Ambien. Puts 'em right out.
Never had one *not* wake up afterward, although they always look a little
groggy when they arrive at their new homes. Necessary treatment after
having one get loose in the car. That was NOT fun. Tried to climb onto my
head - ran around the inside of the car at warp speed. I grabbed for it and
it bit my thumb but good - it was like getting your finger stuck in a sewing
machine. They don't just bite once, they chew. I felt at least 5 separate
bites within a single second.

That's when we stopped and opened the door and let him exit. The next day,
at my doctor's office I learned that squirrels very rarely have rabies -
phew! - (which is what I was sure I had contracted from the bite). Of
course, he said if I wanted to be sure, I could bring the squirrel to the
health department for testing. I should have realized that I might need the
squirrel for just such a purpose, but when you're being bitten by a
panicked squirrel flying around loose in the car, your only thought is how
to get it out of there. Now.

Since then, I also use strong magnets in addition to the built in trap locks
(gravity based and NOT very reliable!) AND the Ambien treatment for
transport. And they ride in the trunk now, too, in the Hav-a-hart trap
which is placed in a plastic trash bag to contain the poop, pee and squirrel
stink that comes out of them even when they're knocked out cold. Don't know
if you've ever seen an older male close-up. They have immense gonads,
thoroughly out of proportion to their size and they leak icky stinky goo and
poop, even when unconcious. Shocking, but not as much as when a male possum
got caught in the trap and I discovered that they have dual penises. Looks
like the forked tongue of a snake. We first thought we were looking at it
giving birth. It was getting a hard-on, instead, it turned out.

I trap squirrels because one year a squirrel got in before we left for
vacation (had the door propped open to load the car) and did over $3000
worth of damage to the windows and other items trying to get out for two
weeks. We though we had a break-in when we first got home because the rim
of the toilet was covered in dirt, where he would go to drink. Squirrels
apparenlty don't lick themselves clean like cats. Who would break in to
stand on the toilet, I thought, and why didn't they steal anything?

When I got to the kitchen and found a bag of cookies and a box of cereal on
the floor, clearly chewed through, I knew what had happened. The tale of
finding him and evicting him has become a traditional Thanksgiving story at
our house, almost as revered as the time when we lit a fire for the holidays
and flaming birds began flying around the living room.

Anyway, Rocky did not go easily or quietly. Finally had to build a loop
stick to haul him out of the stove where he was hiding. Somewhere I have
picture of Rocky staring out from under the hole beneath the burner. We're
still finding dessicated squirrel pellets on the tops of cabinets and other
odd places.

--
Bobby G.