Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Yet another concrete question

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve B wrote:

I'm taking so much flak on this, take a look at these pics and just
tell me what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

It looks like industrial construction. Not what I'd want attached to my
house. But if that's what you need to do if you live in a desert...

If there's a poured concrete pad under this patio, then I would think
you could have just as well put in an anchor plate with bolts under the
pad before the pour, and connect your posts to the bolts. Throw in some
rebar around / over the anchor plate just to give the concrete more
strength in that area.

You apparently didn't really look at the pictures. On the one edge, that is
what I did, putting three base plates. On the outside, where the ground is
caliche, I used the massive concrete bases. And yes, I did use plenty of
rebar welded to the bottom of the posts, and yes, I am a welder, and yes, I
am certified. Even underwater.

I do not think it looks industrial at all. What, should I have used some of
that aluminum crap like they use on "trailers" that a kid with a tricycle
can dent? That surely would have gone flying. We've had some 70 mph winds
since I built this, and there's not a loose screw to be found.

Yes, we live in the country, and I built it to last, to stay, but more
because I will never have to paint or maintain it in my lifetime. The
Fabral sheets have 11 layers of stuff on them, and the red purlins have two
coats of heavy industrial enamel, plus the coatings that come on them from
the factory. It's up, and I don't have to ever touch it again.

YMMV, and probably does

Steve