Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut two 2 1/4" holes in vinyl soffit?

On Jun 24, 10:55*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I need to cut two 2 1/4" holes in a vinyl vent type soffit. * The
holes will be next to each other for 2" PVC pipe to run through. * The
soffit vent material is not flat. *It's flat for a few inches then has
about a 1/2 dip, then flat again, etc. * Any ideas on how to proceed?
It's at the top of the second story too, so access is only from a
ladder. * Best thing I could come up with so far is a hole saw?
Also, I figure the back up plan if I screw up the holes is to cut a
square opening with a key hole saw and then find a piece of the same
vinyl soffit, cut the holes in that piece on the ground, then glue it
over the cut opening.

Any other ideas?

Hole saw work fine for the vinyl; question is what's behind it or is it
all there is at that point?

Nothing behind it but air. Which I guess is good, because there is
nothing else to drill through. But it's bad because the thin plastic
is gonna want to bend and get away from the hole saw.

*If'en there's anything nearby to tack it
to, I'd predrill the holes in a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 ply and use it as
guide to avoid possibility of the holesaw grabbing an edge and yanking
me while I'm on the ladder.

The grabbing was my concern too. Nothing to easily tack onto for a
guide either.

Depending on the particular vinyl, some is quite easily cut w/ sharp
utility knife. *And, of course, if you happen to have it in the kit, the
Greenlee punch works as well as for sheet metal (altho it's mighty
pricey if you don't have )...

--

No punches. And the punch would need access from behind too, no? I
can't get my hand in there from the attic, though there is room for

I also like the other suggestion to use a cordless drill with good
speed control to try to lessen the grabbing.