Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut two 2 1/4" holes in vinyl soffit?

On Jun 24, 10:45*am, wrote:
I need to cut two 2 1/4" holes in a vinyl vent type soffit. * The
holes will be next to each other for 2" PVC pipe to run through. * The
soffit vent material is not flat. *It's flat for a few inches then has
about a 1/2 dip, then flat again, etc. * Any ideas on how to proceed?
It's at the top of the second story too, so access is only from a
ladder. * Best thing I could come up with so far is a hole saw?
Also, I figure the back up plan if I screw up the holes is to cut a
square opening with a key hole saw and then find a piece of the same
vinyl soffit, cut the holes in that piece on the ground, then glue it
over the cut opening.

Any other ideas?

If you make sure your center bit is long enough you can do this with a
hole saw. It's going to want to grab bad when the saw part hits the
material. Since it's plastic you can run the drill in reverse and
that will lessen the grabbing. You still want a good grip on the
drill. If you have scrap it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it there
first.