Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
JD[_6_] JD[_6_] is offline

Default Epson Perfection Scanner Problem

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:48:34 +0000, Cydrome Leader ǝʇoɹʍ:

In sci.electronics.repair JD wrote:
Hi Experts :-)

I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until today. Now, when I
press the start button, it click-clicks and the carriage does not move.

is that model old enough to have a lock/transport mechanism that may
have been bumped and engaged?

I haven't seen one that didn't lock. Not saying there may be some that
don't. All 4 of my Canon LiDE scanners lock. Don't ask why I have 4
And all the others back to the first SCSI scanner I owned back in the
90's locked.

Thank you CL and MP.

The scanner is indeed old. I can't remember when I
bought it but the manual
that came with it has: Copyright 2000.

I knew about the lock. The carriage needs to be
locked while moving the scanner around and then
unlocked when the scanner needs to be used.

I decided to replace the screws and then to go
carefully through the known steps - connecting and
turning on in the right sequence. It worked fine
then, except from one messy situation that really
irked me with the Copy facility. It had collected
all my 3 fax progs and a PDF prog for the
destination of the scan - no such place as a
folder to place the copy. The normal setting for
the group (faxes and PDF prog) was alphabetical,
so when I made my copies it flashed open the fax
prog and I had to stop and take another route to
get the job done. Anyone experience this
limitation? Or is there a setting that I have missed?

It's quite a complicated piece of work.

Have a great weekend guys :-)