Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default Danger of running hot receiver (Kyocera)?

On Jun 29, 12:54*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Got someone with a Kyocera receiver (R-851, 85 w/chan.) that they say
"smells like something's burning". Don't have more specific information
than that; *I'm assuming no magic smoke is visible. I'm advising them
that perhaps something (dust, etc.) is in the heat sink that's getting
heated and smelling. Apparently the output stages (MOSFET) of these
beasts tend to run on the hot side.

Question: does anyone know what kind of overcurrent or overtemperature
protection this unit has? User is concerned about "ruining" it if it is
in fact overheating (which I can't determine at this distance). They're
running it with 4-ohm speakers at not-very-high levels; I also suggested
trying it with 8-ohm speakers and seeing if the smell lessens.

Not much info to go on, I know, but I really would like to know more
about any protection circuitry in this piece of gear.

A bit of a reach... A 35 degree rise above ambient in a room at 68 F
feels warm to the touch, but when you run the same amp in a hot
location, room temp 90F that absolute temperature is now 125F and you
feel burnt touching it. Just like its summer here the room temp there
could be high, perhaps there is something overheating and outgassing,
for a while.