John, in MN

Default Measuring Devices / Tape Measures

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:12:10 GMT, "Nick Bozovich"
wrote:

I was watching Norm today - he was measuring up a piece of lumber, and he
used a tape measure. I couldn't tell what brand, but it made me think about
the worthless tape measure I have in my shop - that I try to avoid using.
Why? Because the end of it is loose, and if you don't push the tape back
toward it, the measurement can be off by nearly 1/8".

I was in Lowes today, and checked out their tape measures - even on the more
expensive ones the end of it was loose! One was even worse than the one I
have.

I've mostly used a folding carpenter's rule with a metal insert for 1" - 6",
because the tape measure isn't reliable.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks -

Nick B

From what I understand the end should slide the thickness of the tab
thingie. This allows you to make inside and outside measurements
without needing to compensate for the end of the tape's tab thickness.

--
John, in Minnesota