Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Teac AG-790 has me stumped...

"Baron" wrote in message
William R. Walsh Inscribed thus:

I'm about to give up...

I received a Teac AG-790 stereo receiver with burn damage to the PCB
underneath resistors 7R41, 7R47, 7R?? (unmarked, next to 7R47) and
7R48. I repaired all of this damage, cleaned up the carbon that had
been left behind and soldered to the nearest remaining good portion of
the board.

Up to this point, the receiver did what it has done since I got it. It
played through the right channel only.

I kept on looking and found a capacitor at location 7C27 (220uF, 16V)
that had blown out the rubber plug at the bottom. So I replaced that.
Now nothing works. I know the new cap to be good. The unit will power
up just as it always has, there are no blown fuses and my repair job
seems to be bulletproof (and correct, per the schematic in the service
manual). The audio is gone, replaced only by a faint humming on
speakers and headphones alike, in the right channel. Turning the
volume dial does not change this. There is still nothing from the left
channel. The unit is not in protection and nothing is getting hot,
burning up or worse.

In addition, the display on the front of the unit will now indicate
"E0" (or maybe it's an O...no way to tell). This is not mentioned in
the service manual, nor did I find anything in a web search.
Operations from the front panel remain possible.

I'm beginning to think that it may be too far gone to fix. Anyone out
there with an eleventh hour idea?

William

Just asking, you did put the cap in the right way round !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Agreed on that, but seems to me that the fundamental question is not being
asked. In what part of the circuit is the replaced cap ? Can you determine
its exact function from the schematics ?

Knowing that may be helpful to assess whether there may be an immediated
connection between the previous and current symptoms, or whether we're in
'red herring' territory here ...

Arfa