Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default can i remove turns from shaded pole motor

On Jun 23, 10:04*pm, "Steve Sousa" wrote:
Hello:

I live in a 230V area but need to use a 120V fan to repair an amplifier.
I can only get 230V fan motors here, so i was wondering if i can simply
remove turns from a 230v shaded pole motor to make it into a 120v one?

Thank you.

do you have room for other components? use two identical fans wired in
series?
or, use a 120/120 isolation transformer with 230 across both [properly
phased] and tap off the 115 for the fan,
or, add a series inductor? some transformers are built very well and
can be abused. 120/12.6 filament transformer. place the 12.6Vac
winding in series. That will put 120+ across the secondary, but might
take it, plus the inductance is smaller looking into that winding and
you might get the right voltage drop, experimentation required.
or, use a series cap? something like 22uF to 33uF AC cap [note: AC
cap, not some electrolytic, unless rated for it, they're not made to
have this much AC current go through and electrolytic requires
nonpolar, or two back to back] - require experimentation.

or, if there is enough DC power: buy a DC fan rated for the same air
flow against head pressure and use it.